Fabulessly Frugal and Tortilla Familia have teamed up to bring you this golden. crunchy, and oh so creamy chicken taquitos recipe. The best part? It's not only delicious - this recipe only takes 15 minutes!
Fabulessly Frugal is the creation of Cathy Yoder, an inspiring mother of 8 who finds ways to save time and dollars while making healthy, satisfying meals for her family. She's an expert in air frying and wants to help people get the most out of their air fryers. Air fryers are awesome tools to help make cooking your favorite meals faster and healthier. Check out her video for this recipe and for other 15 minute meals!
If you have an air fryer at home and that video has got you salivating, here’s the recipe from Fabulessly Frugal’s cookbook so you can make it yourself:
- Air Fryer
- ¼ cup green salsa
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder or 2 cloves minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 3 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 cup shredded Mexican style cheese
- 11 to 12 Burrito Size flour tortillas
- olive oil or cooking spray
- kosher salt
1. Preheat your oven to 425˚F/218˚C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the salsa, lime juice, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, and garlic powder. Stir in the cilantro and green onions. Add the chicken, soft cream cheese, and shredded cheese; mix thoroughly. (This filling mixture can be made in advance and refrigerated or frozen for later use.)
3. (Refrigerated flour tortillas will roll better if they are warmed in the microwave first.) Spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of the filling mixture onto the lower third of a tortilla. Roll the tortilla as tightly as you can and place seam-side-down on the baking sheet, not touching other taquitos. Repeat with remaining tortillas until the mixture is gone.
4. Spray the tops lightly with cooking spray or brush with olive oil, and sprinkle with kosher salt. (You can place the baking sheet in the freezer at this point. Once the taquitos are frozen through, transfer to a freezer bag and store in the freezer.)
5. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until crisp and ends are golden brown. (If cooking from frozen, bake for 20-25 minutes.)
6. Serve with salsa, sour cream, Ranch dressing, or guacamole.
AIR FRYER COOKING INSTRUCTIONS
1. After preparing the taquitos, cook at 380F/190C for 5 minutes. I was able to put 6 in the air fryer basket. Lightly spray the tops of the taquitos with oil.
2. With remaining chicken mix, either store in a container for later or repeat to make more taquitos.
3. Flip the taquitos, lightly spray with oil and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes, until the tortilla reaches desired crispiness.
***Recipe taken from Fabulessly Frugal