It’s almost that time again, Super Bowl Sunday, or should we say, Snack-A-Bowl Sunday?
It’s the perfect occasion to wheel out the chips and dip, but how can you give it that special touch? Easy, make your own tortilla chips from scratch. Well, not completely from scratch, use Tortilla Familia >>corn tortillas<< for a drastic reduction in cooking time while still getting that top-notch authentic flavor.
So why bother making your own chips? As is often the case, when you make tortilla chips at home you’ll have more control over how nutritious they are. Use your favorite vegetable oil to fry them, or even bake in your oven or air fryer. Our beetroot, prickly pear, and turmeric corn tortillas are full of even more good stuff than the normal flavors, check these out if you want to make a healthier option.
And not only can you control your salt intake, you can use any of our super tasty flavors of corn tortillas to make one-of-a-kind chips. Like spice? We’ve got a rainbow of spices to pick from: jalapeño, chiltepin, habanero, thai chili…these chips will have you forgetting all about the dipping part.
Enough preamble, here’s the recipe!
• 2 packs (26 Tortilla Familia corn tortillas - mix and match flavors!)
• Vegetable oil
1. Use a pizza cutter to cut each tortilla into 6 triangular slices. You can layer more than one tortilla at a time for efficiency.
2. Pour about an inch of vegetable oil into skillet of your choice and heat to medium-high. You should see the oil shimmer a little when it’s hot enough.
3. Using wooden tongs, drop about 20 of your triangles in, fry until golden (20-30 sec) and flip to fry the other side. They’ll cook faster if the oil is hotter and slower if it’s cooler. The goal is to keep them from turning too brown.
4. Remove them, drain on paper towels, and sprinkle with salt or other seasoning right away.
5. Repeat for the rest of the batches. Cool them before serving and make sure to eat them up. They are best consumed within 24 hours.